Parent Zone

Important Information for Parents

This section covers the following: Who to Contact; Parental Responsibilities; Reporting Pupil Absence; What to do if your child is unhappy in school; Dealing with Head Lice; Free School Meals entitlement: PTFA

Who to Contact

All enquiries to school should be made via the school office on 01744 678430.

A member of the office staff will then transfer your call to the appropriate person.

For all general school enquiries please speak to a member of our office staff :-

Mrs Clare or  Mrs Greenall

If you wish to speak to your child’s class teacher please speak to a member of the office staff first and they will pass your message on to the class teacher.

If you wish to speak to a member of the Senior Leadership Team please ask to speak to:-

Mrs Young – Head Teacher

Mrs Beechey – Acting Deputy Head Teacher/SENCo

Mrs Foster  - Phase 1 Leader

Mr Hardy - Phase 2 Leader

Mrs Beechey - Phase 3 Leader

If you are calling with regards to a safeguarding issue or concern please ask to speak to :-

Mrs Aspinall- Wood – Safeguarding Manager

Mrs Young – Head Teacher

If you are calling with regards to Breakfast Club, Afterschool Club or extra-curricular clubs and activities please ask to speak to :-

Mrs Aspinall-Wood – Safeguarding Manager

If you are calling with regards to your child’s attendance please ask to speak to :-

Mrs Aspinall-Wood – Safeguarding Manager

Parental Responsibilities

Establishing excellent working relationships with the parents of our children is very important to us here at Parish, as it helps to ensure that all children reach their full potential. We believe that, in order to ensure that relationships are as effective as possible; all parents have certain responsibilities that they need to fulfil. These are to:-

  • Ensure your child/children attend that school regularly and arrive in school on time.

  • Inform the school of the reason for any absence.

  • Attend parents evening or any other appointments to discuss your child’s progress or well-being.

  • Support the school rules and regulations.

  • Initially contact the class teacher with any concerns. If concerns remain, the matter should then be taken to the Head Teacher or Deputy Head Teacher and then the Governing Body. A formal process can be implemented for any unresolved issues.

  • Support children with homework, reading and other activities.

  • Let the school know about any concerns or problems which may affect a child’s learning.

  • Ensure that my child follows the school dress code.

What to do in the event of:-

Reporting pupil absence

If your child is going to be absent from school please ensure that you ring the school office - 01744 678430 - to let us know. It is important that you contact us on the first day of the absence before 9.30am.

If your child is absent, and we have not heard from you, our Safeguarding Manager will contact you by telephone to ask why your child is not in school. Please note that if we are unable to contact you by telephone a home visit will be made.

If your child is absent for a full week, or part of a week and the absence continues into a second week, school must be notified on the Monday morning of the second week.

On return to school, ALL children are required to bring a note of explanation for their absence.

If your child is unhappy in school

If for any reason you feel that your child is unhappy in school it is important that you let us know. In the first instance please speak to your child’s class teacher about your concerns. Most issues can usually be resolved in this way. You can do this by either contacting the school office to make an appointment to meet with the teacher or by speaking to the teacher at the beginning or end of the school day to make an appointment to meet with them.

If for some reason the matter is not resolved and your child continues to be unhappy please contact the school via the school office and ask for an appointment to speak to either a member of the Senior Leadership Team (Head teacher, Deputy Head Teacher, Assistant Head Teacher) or the Safeguarding Manager, who deals with pastoral issues in school.

Dealing with Head Lice

Unfortunately, on occasions some children get head lice. With this in mind it is a good idea to check your child’s hair on at least a weekly basis – Friday evening is a good time to do this.

If you discover that your child has head lice please let school know as soon as possible. We will then send a letter out to the parents of the other children in the class, informing them that there has been a reported incident of head lice and asking them to check their own child’s hair that evening.

Having head lice is not a reason to keep your child of school. You should treat their hair and then send them in to school as normal.

How to treat:

If live lice are seen on hair you can use an ‘over the counter’ treatment. The treatment should be applied immediately and repeated again a week later.

You can get this free via the care of the chemist scheme.

In between the two treatments you should use the wet combing technique –wash the hair, apply conditioner and in small sections comb the hair from root to tip using a very fine comb or nit comb.

Tip –for children with long hair try and keep it tied up for school .


Always seek advice from a healthcare professional before using medicated head lice lotions on the following groups:

  • young babies (under six months old)

  • pregnant women

  • people with asthma or allergies

If further support needed contact the school nurse Julia Walsh on 01744 27940 or come to the monthly nurse drop in.

Free School Meal Entitlement

Please check to see if you may be eligible to claim for free school meals, even if you do not wish your child to actually have the meals.

Parents can claim FSM for their children if they are in receipt of any of the following qualifying benefits:

1 Income Support

2 Job Seekers Allowance (Income-based)

3 Employment and Support Allowance (Income-related)

4 Guarantee Element of Pension Credit

5 Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999

6 Child Tax Credit and your income as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs does not exceed £16,190 (see note)

Note: Your child(ren) will NOT be entitled to Free School Meals if either of the following apply:-

i You receive working Tax Credit, even if you receive Child Tax Credit and have an income below £16,190; or

ii You receive Child Tax Credit and have an income of more than £16,190

We also need to know if any child has a parent who is serving in the armed forces, as additional funding is available to support these children.

Please be aware that although the Government are in the process of introducing free school meals for all infant pupils, if you think that you may be eligible to receive free school meals, please contact the Benefits Section, Wesley House, telephone number 01744 675216/7 as soon as possible to complete the necessary forms.


School has a small, but very active PTFA, who organise fundraising events for school, including Christmas and Summer Fairs and Bingo evenings. If you would like to join the PTFA or would like to know more about it please speak to our office staff, who will put you in touch with a member of the PTFA.