EU Referendum

Date: 27th Jun 2016 @ 5:21pm

On Thursday 23rd June, Years 4, 5 and 6 pupils cast their votes in a mock EU referendum set up by staff to help them to better understand the important British Value of democracy.

During the school day students ran 'leave' and 'remain' campaigns by making videos and posters to help inform their decisions.

A 'polling station' complete with ballot papers and boxes were set up in the upstair hall were children had to anonymously vote whether to 'Remain' or 'Stay'.

Our Results: 55% Leave and 45% Remain

What are your views?

 

 

Post your comment

Amy Burke wrote:

I really enjoyed the EU referendum we had a whole school day learning about it.

Miss Roden wrote:

I am delighted that you feel you have learned something new about the EU.

Reply to this thread

Abbie wrote:

I think doing the Eu referendum was a great thing to experience in class. I really liked when we made our own videos on leaving and remaining the Eu. It was great FUN !

Miss Roden wrote:

I am glad that you have found this experience useful as well as fun!

Reply to this thread

Miss Roden wrote:

I found this really handy website if you want to learn more! 🙌
http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/find_out/guides/european_union/newsid_2138000/2138993.stm

Reply to this thread

adam clarke wrote:

I didn't get to do it but I think it is good for when we are older it gives us the confidents for voting in the future

Miss Roden wrote:

It is great that you feel that this experience has given you confidence to vote in the future.

Reply to this thread

adam clarke wrote:

I think that leave was the right thing to do and I think people are right but its sad that David Cameron has resighned

Miss Roden wrote:

It is sad new indeed.
I wonder who will lead the Conservative party next...

Reply to this thread

femi heald wrote:

i agree with amy because we did learn lots of things of the EU. i learned i lot of things i didnt know about anythink about the EU. anyway thanks for teaching us about the EU miss roden. about the web miss roden i went on it and it is amazing try it out

Miss Roden wrote:

You're welcome Femi. Can you share one thing that you learned?

femi heald wrote:

i learned about that the EU is very important because a referendem a vote
in which everyone(or nearly everyone) of voting age can take part was held on
Thursday 23 June,to decide whether the UK should leave or remain in the
European union. Miss Roden here
leave won by 52% to 48%. the referendem turnout was 71.8% with more then 30 million people voting. this what i learned Miss Roden.

Miss Roden wrote:

Excellent research Femi! 🖒

Reply to this thread

femi heald wrote:

i loved doing the videos i did understand why we done it because we needed to vote it was great FUN!!!!

Reply to this thread

Molly G wrote:

I think that the EU Referendum is very important to the government and St Helens.
I really enjoyed the voting and making the clips with Josh E Abbie and Ella.

Miss Roden wrote:

I agree! It is extremely important.

Reply to this thread

Angel chapman wrote:

I have enjoyed learning about the EU I liked the most is voting because we can have are own opinion .It is very important .

Miss Roden wrote:

It was a great opportunity to have your own opinion.

Alexandra wrote:

I very much agree with Angel and Miss Roden.

Reply to this thread

Paige N wrote:

I enjoyed learning about the EU. I think Britain did the right thing leaving the EU as we saved a lot of money for our country and we can stop some of our favourite shops from shutting down. We also can make our own laws:)

Miss Roden wrote:

What an interesting and well constructed comment Paige. I respect your point of view 😊

Reply to this thread

Jamie wrote:

I enjoyed learning about the EU I think Britain is good out because we have more control over our boarders and there's less threats to us

Miss Roden wrote:

Excellent Jamie! That was one of the reason we learned about in class.

Reply to this thread

Kayleigh wrote:

In my opinion I think it was right to leave the EU because now we can make our own laws and choices

Miss Roden wrote:

Great! That is right Kayleigh. Leave campaigners did make that point.

Reply to this thread